Until late sixties, Pakistan Customs was responsible for land and sea based frontiers of Pakistan with the objective to prevent smuggling of contraband items into and from Pakistan.
Earlier in 1958, when Gwadar became part of Pakistan, the coastline got extended to about 1000 Kilometers, touching Pak – Iran border in the West. The extended frontages made the task of the Sea Customs further difficult, as it was then the only anti-smuggling agency responsible to watch the entire coastline in addition to land based activities.
Resultantly, skeleton Headquarters of Pakistan Coast Guards was set up at Karachi in June 1971.
Later in October 1972, raising of this force was formally promulgated through a Presidential Ordinance, which was later replaced by Pakistan Coast Guards Act of 1973.
Ever since, Pakistan Coast Guards became a component of Civil Armed Forces and functions under the Ministry of Interior.